Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Strollin down memory lane

When I got home from work today, I decided to look at some of my old art projects from middle and high school.  I remember complaining about the structure of art class, because it was very rarely about free expression (ironically enough).  I can remember telling my mom that I didn't like being told what to draw or paint or what have you.  That was one of the main reasons why I didn't think I would ever want to make art part of my career, because it would inevitably feel like a job and I wouldn't have a passion for it anymore.

Funny thing is, now I can't imagine why I thought I would want to do anything else.  What sense does it make to go through life with whatever gift you have been blessed with, and not using it? Insanity, ill tell ya.

Anyways, I figured I would show ya'll some of my old stuff! It really has nothing to do with the new direction that I am going to be headed down, but it's pretty cool to see where I've been.


This was a linoleum printing process that we did in my art studio class in high school.  We actually used a sharp carving tool to carve into a block of linoleum to make a basic giant stamp.  I got my inspiration from the new Cooper River Bridge that was actually just opening at the time.  Needless to say, our class used a lot of band-aids that month. 

These were all part of a series of artwork that we did.  We had to pick a theme and could use what ever medium we wanted.  I'm a big fan of colored pencils, so I chose that.  I'm really not sure why I went with birds.  



All of the previous stuff was done in my art studio class in high school.  The previous one was a simple still life sketch with pencils.  None of this stuff was really my forte, but I loved colored pencils! They are so blendable (if thats even a word) and you can really bring out amazing detail with them.  


This is what I did with the back wall in my bedroom while I was bored a couple summers ago. I've been tempted to do a whole different design that would compliment my pillow shams (from World Market) that normally go on my bed at school.  I just haven't had the strength to paint over it, considering it was a very tedious project!  I encourage people that have a smaller, simple room to spice up an accent wall with a cool design!  All I did was measure it out and tape it off with blue painters tape.  Real fun project if you have the time, and the results are awesome! 

I am really looking forward to getting some of my newest stuff on here to show ya'll!  Stay tuned! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I would LOVE to hear what ya think!