Thursday, April 19, 2012

I'm a GDI, and therefore socially retarded.

For those of you unaware of what a GDI is (and thus living under a rock or 40+ years old), it means Gosh Dern Independent (to put it nicely).  I am a part of this social phenomenon, and therefore have been labeled as a basic social retard in the world of Clemson University.  I have taken the liberty of finding some basic definitions, courtesy of urban dictionary.

GDI (noun):
  1. a derogatory term used by members of Greek organizations to describe someone who has sufficient intelligence and social skills to simply make friends, not pay for them.
  2. term used by college students to refer to a non-Greek student. In a derogatory sense, it is used to refer only to those who choose to bash the Greek system. Contrary to popular belief, it is possible for Greeks and GDIs to be friends
Lets check out a few examples, shall we? 


I want to take this time to say (NO) I do not lounge in the sun alone in an Emo hammock on campus. (NO) I do not play intramural sports. (NO) I do not shop at American Eagle or Hollister. (NO) I am not ugly and/or a lesbian. (NO) I am not from the North. And (NO) I am not poor. 

In all actuality, I have a boyfriend.  I used to go to all kinds of frat parties, and from what I can tell, my company was appreciated, no enjoyed.  I monogram everything I own.  I like lilly pulitzer too!  I care about the animals and sick babies.  I have friends that are girls, and they're hot. And believe it or not, I was born and raised in South Carolina.  Dun dun dun. 

The beautiful thing about stereotypes is that they apply to both sides.  I can't say I don't have my hasty generalizations of your typical sorority girl.  For the most part, they go a little something like this: 

(WARNING: there is some pretty rough language in this clip, but only to paint a realistic picture of course.  Plus, I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.)


Once you have wiped your eyes and changed your pants, appreciate the irony behind this whole thing. Stereotypes only give way for more stereotypes.  But it is natural!  Seriously, you're human.  You cannot help but analyze someone as soon as they walk in the door. However, after you sit there and pick apart every single fashion choice that girl made when she got up this morning, try and chew on some understanding.  People are different.  Relax, it's not that scary.  

This is all in good fun ladies and gents.  I have plenty of girlfriends that are in sororities and way nicer/less stuck up/less slutty than my GDI girlfriends.  Also, this all has a point, I promise.  My senior seminar class is doing a project involving breaking stereotypes on campus.  We are doing a part 2 to what is called the human adventure symposium at Clemson University, sponsored by the dear sweet lady Maryalice Mayberry.  Our whole class planned events to hang out on library bridge and ask people to submit statements breaking stereotypes they have witnessed, all centered around the same statement "I am _____, but also ______."  Here are some pics:





We all have t-shirts and buttons!  My t-shirt of course says "I am a GDI, but also social."  You should see some of the looks I get around campus.  Anywho, check out our Facebook and our Blog for more information and more pictures! 




1 comment:

I would LOVE to hear what ya think!